Swellendam in South Africa

Accommodation in Swellendam

Product NameRoom TypeRATINGPrices
Aan de Oever Guesthouse Group 1 from: ZAR To be confirmed

Swellendam

Third-oldest colonial settlement in South Africa, below the Langeberg range near the Bontebok National Park. Early travellers and explorers who visited the Cape in the 1500's traded with the Khoi Khoi people who lived on these shores. The Dutch East India Company established a refreshments centre at the Cape in 1652. Trade continued inland as far as Swellendam. In 1743 Swellendam was declared a magisterial district, the third oldest in South Africa, and was named after Governor Hendrik Swellengrebel and his wife, Ten Damme. This outlying settlement soon became a gateway to the interior, and was visited by many famous explorers and travellers including Le Valliant (1781), Lady Anne Barnard (1798), Burchell (1815), and Bowler (1860).
  • Malgas Ferry - For many years it was powered by Oom Moxie Dunn, who harnassed himself to the cable and 'walked' the ferry across. The job is now handled by 2 men, though still for a modest fee.
  • Marloth Nature Reserve - A sanctuary for animals and plants covering about 11300ha on the slopes of the Langeberg range near the town of Swellendam.
  • The Drosdy Museum - The Drosdy now houses some fine 18th and 19th-century Cape furniture and a collection of old animal-drawn vehicles can be seen in the barns.
  • The Old Gaol - The thatched-roofed Gaoler's Cottage also served as the Post Office (the man did double duty as Postmaster).
  • The Ambagswerf - The building was constructed in 1970 to exhibit the tools and equipment used by artisans and craftsmen of the past.
  • Zanddrift - An old (1757) Cape Dutch Farmhouse, that once stood near Bonnievale, was pulled down and reconstructed in the museum's grounds. It now functions as a restaurant.